Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day Thirty-Four: White Balance Test





Since I am baby-less, I decided today to try a white balance test. Jodi Friedman of MCPActions has a great blog. She passes along many tips among other things.



One item was a cheap (read that as zero cost) white balance tool. Take a clear top from a Pringles potato chip can. Trace the circle on a coffee filter, and cut out the circle. Tape it to the lid. Then hold it up in front of your lens, so it fills the picture space. Shoot the picture and set a custom white balance.



The first pictures I took was of a doll I have (if anyone is a doll collector, it is by Annette Himstedt......and I collected her dolls that I love til I finally got grandchildren!). Picture 1 is AWB (automatic white balance), the second was Custom White Balance. I can definitely tell the difference between the 2 pictures.



The second 2 photos are part of an oil painting by my very favorite artist, Burton Morris. I tried to include part of our white wall. I can see the difference in the whites, but it's not such a big difference.



What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. hello

    I like your white balance test. Thank you for all the nice comments on my blog !
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the custom the colors look richer to me. Great test to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love Jodi's blog? Thanks for showing the results of your white balance test. It was very interesting to see. I LOVE your doll. I've got one of Annette's dolls and wish I could afford more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful learning new things about photography ... so much to soak in! :)

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I def see the difference! More so in the first though then teh paintings. What a sweet doll to, I have been thinking of starting to collect them for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete